Saturday, May 24, 2014

Sympathy Saturday: Caleb Grant Van Dusen Memorial Page on Find A Grave



As you know, I recently started getting involved as a volunteer and as a memorial page manager for family on findagrave.com. 

A few weeks ago I found the death certificate for my gg grandfather Caleb Grant Van Dusen. On the certificate is stated that he was buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Phoenix, Arizona. Naturally I looked up the cemetery on findagrave and found that in the early 1950's Greenwood Cemetery merged with another to become one big cemetery, in fact it is the biggest cemetery in all of Arizona with over 100,000 graves. The last I checked only 27,800 interments were listed and of that 27,800, 78% of the graves were photographed. What a crazy big job! Needless to say my gg grandfather was not listed yet.

I called Greenwood Memorial Lawn Cemetery to confirm that my gg grandfather Caleb Grant Van Dusen was indeed buried there and he was. I asked for the exact location so that when I added a memorial page the information would be correct as possible. Next, not living anywhere near Phoenix I requested a photo. To my dismay only some flowers mark his grave. There is no headstone or flat grave marker. Something will need to be done about that. 

Checking online for flat granite grave markers, the cheapest one is about $158.00. Not too horrible of a price. But with the trip to see it done, the price is a little out of range at the moment. 

I have a feeling that there is a new life mission coming my way! Making sure that at least my direct ancestors have at the minimum a grave marker with their name, dates and their parents names. They lived a life that eventually produced me. They deserve that much in death.  Here is a link to the Find A Grave memorial page I added for my gg grandfather

2 comments:

  1. Someday I hope to have a couple of headstones placed for my GGGrandparents. It's a great tribute to them. Glad you are involved with Findagrave, it's a great site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really respect that you're doing this sort of thing for the memory of our ancestors!

    ReplyDelete